/* Story Top Left 2010 300×250, created 7/15/10 */
google_ad_slot = “8340327155”;
The question to ask in reference to portable air conditioners is this: are they for real?
There is such a thing as a portable air conditioner but it is heavy and clunky as well as a bit slow in its performance. Whatever the case, they are the object of cooling that people are least bothered with since they don’t deliver as well as the static split unit. And while, they do not sink to the depths of a simple fan, they nevertheless do not reach their slated potential.
They hardly work and some people’s evidence is sufficient proof of this. These units were originally designed for those residential interiors where ordinary air conditioners could not be installed due to the décor or structural features.
Moreover, they are large, create noise pollution, are pricey and use up tons of precious energy. Many get returned to the shops from which they were purchased in the first place.
Their working is bit complex. Since there is no outside vent for the hot air to go, the end result is that air from other rooms is sucked in as the portable air conditioner goes about its business of dispelling the hot air.
Then the portability of the units is another thing which is brought into question. Each unit weighs 50 to 80 pounds and so moving it is a pain in the neck. And then they need space for their proper operation. Tests were conducted on several brands.
The results were not encouraging. They had dismal cooling records. After a lot of test runs, one brand came out on top and that is the Honeywell MN10CES(WW) which costs at least $400 in the market.
The best advice for those who still want a portable unit is to have it fitted in the right way in their home. And also a ceiling fan in the room is a must.
Finally, try not to allow any sunlight into the room as it can eliminate the cooling effects of the portable air conditioner.
Beyond that it is ultimately your choice and you alone are responsible for whatever benefits or drawbacks accrue from this novel piece of technology.
Top rated in Portable Air Conditioners on Amazon.com are:
Amazon’s top 10 best sellers in Portable Air Conditioners are:
1. Honeywell MN10CESWW 10,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner for $398.99
2. Frigidaire Energy Star 6,000 BTU 115V for $298.89
3. Whynter 14,000 BTU Dual Hose Portable Air Conditioner for $455.13
4. SPT SF-609 Portable Evaporative Air Cooler with Ionizer for $104.92
5. Frigidaire Energy Star 12,000 BTU 115V Window-Mounted Compact AC for $349
6. Frigidaire 5,000 BTU 115V Window-Mounted Mini-Compact AC for $139.88
7. Shinco 10,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner for $279.99
8. Portable Small Fan & Mini-air Conditioner for $12.15
9. Luma Comfort EC110S Portable Evaporative Cooler for $166.98
10.LG Electronics LP1014WNR 115-volt Portable Air Conditioner for $312.99