Photo Credit: Getty Images
Miami Marlins outfielder Giancarlo Stanton’s contract extension could be in the works as soon as the 2014 MLB offseason kicks in.
MLB.com’s Joe Frisaro discusses the possibility in his Sept. 29 article:
“Before Spring Training, Giancarlo Stanton made it clear to the Marlins that he didn’t want to talk about a contract extension during the season. With the offseason beginning on Monday, early discussions could begin in a matter of weeks.
“First, Stanton is planning to go on vacation. The front office, meanwhile, will be finishing up business for this season and then put a plan for 2015. A realistic timeline for serious negotiations could be around the general manager meetings in Arizona in November.
“‘We stay in touch with our players all offseason,’ president of baseball operations Michael Hill said on Sunday. ‘We’ve said we’d respect his wishes during the season and we wouldn’t discuss it. But now we’re into the offseason. That is our plan, to talk with him about extending him beyond his arbitration years.’
“Stanton, a two-time All-Star, enjoyed a potential National League Most Valuable Player Award season, leading the NL in home runs with 37. He is second in the league in RBIs with 105.
“But the 24-year-old had his season abruptly cut short after he was struck on the face with a pitch at Milwaukee on Sept. 11.
“Stanton made $6.5 million in his first season of arbitration. The Marlins have made it clear they plan on retaining Stanton in 2015 with or without a long-term deal.
“Stanton is represented by Joel Wolfe of the Wasserman Media Group.
“‘We have to hear from them and what their goals are, and what they hope to accomplish,’ Hill said. ‘We have some ideas we’ll streamline and tighten up as have those meetings. And hopefully we’re on the same page and can get something done.'”
In a separate MLB.com blog, Frisaro points out Stanton emerged as the National League’s leader in home runs with 37 despite missing the last 17 games due to an injury when he took a pitch to the face against the Milwaukee Brewers on Sept. 11:
“Missing the final 17 games did not cost Giancarlo Stanton a chance to become the first player in Marlins history to win the National League home run crown.
“Stanton’s 37 homers held up a sizeable margin, as he ended up pacing the league. Anthony Rizzo of the Cubs, who homered on Sunday, finished second with 32.
“If not for being struck in the face by a pitch at Milwaukee on Sept. 11, who knows how much better Stanton’s numbers could have been.
“‘All of us were crushed when his season ended, not just because of the impact he had on our lineup,’ Miami manager Mike Redmond said. ‘But the kind of year he was having. To see a guy so driven, so focused. He was really having a breakout year. We all wanted to see where he would finish up. It didn’t end the way any of us anticipated.’
“Stanton matched his season high previously set in 2012. The two-time All-Star was hopeful of playing in all 162 games. If he had, he /4/have eclipsed Gary Sheffield‘s franchise record of 42 home runs in 1996.
“The 24-year-old sensation also has 154 career homers, which matches Dan Uggla for the all-time franchise lead.
“Along with leading the NL in home runs, Stanton paced the league with his .555 slugging percentage.
“‘(Stanton) is a special player,’ Redmond said. ‘He’s a huge part of our team. I think we all realized how big a part, especially over the past few weeks without him. He had a tremendous year. I saw a lot of growth in him, not only as a player, but as a guy in the clubhouse. I think he really enjoyed himself.
“‘To be playing meaningful games into September, we really saw the best out of him. That was fun.’
“Before suffering multiple facial fractures, Stanton was considered a frontrunner for the NL Most Valuable Player Award.”
The 24-year-old Stanton has amassed 619 hits, 154 home runs and 399 RBIs on a .271 batting average in 634 career regular-season games with the Marlins, per ESPN stats.